Emergence: Integrated Studio Arts Senior BFA Exhibition

Alison Weidemann

Integrated studio arts seniors will share their work in an exhibition April 16–22 in Gallery 181 and online in Gallery 181V. Emergence will showcase artwork by 20 students who will graduate with a bachelor of fine arts in May, August or December. Each senior submitted up to eight pieces for the show; two to three works per student will be installed in Gallery 181 and the rest will be presented virtually.

Participating seniors

Reigne AdrianGalena, Illinois
Haleigh AndersonClive
Cassidy BarkerDavenport
Catherine BergCedar Rapids
Samantha BiasMinneapolis
Katharine BrowningLebanon, Ohio
Bailey CarpenterJohnston
Caitlyn ChellewAmes
Rachel EshuisAnkeny
Charlie EskerCedar Rapids
Brett GarrettDes Moines
Riley GundersonLawrenceville, Georgia
Allison HellmanDes Moines
Ce’Dell HughesChicago
Madison KlockeJewell
Madeleine LoydWest Des Moines
Lynn NguyenDes Moines
Sarah SirokyCenterville, Ohio
Naseul SonClive

Reigne Adrian

Artist Statement

I have always surrounded myself with various plants and animals, thus my work revolves depicting both flora and fauna. I enjoy combining and pairing aspects of flora and fauna together to create unique illustrations with lush color palettes. I tend to gravitate towards depictions of reptiles and amphibians with their delicate scaling and wide array of colorations as this allows me to work with rendering small details and experiment with color. My work aims to stylistically render detail, allow the viewer to appreciate the beauty of things often overlooked or undervalued, and depict fantastical combinations of various flora and fauna.

Online Gallery Submissions

About the Artist: Reigne Adrian Video

Haleigh Anderson

Online Gallery Submissions

About the Artist: Haleigh Anderson Video

Cassidy Barker

Artist Statement

When it comes to my art, I focus on telling or creating stories, while capturing the emotion involved within them. Whether it is through a series of paintings or in a single portrait. I believe that within life there are tales that we don’t want to share or aspects that we don’t want others to see. There are good times and bad, and my work explores both sides of the story.

Online Gallery Submissions

About the Artist: Cassidy Barker Video

Catherine Berg

Artist Statement

I work through a feminine lens that aims to evoke a personal response through uncovering emotional aspects of the shared human experience. My work speaks on societal expectations by exploring gender and sexuality, politics, and environmental issues. I create pieces that can be soft or very vibrant with high contrast that works to form a vulnerable and intimate relationship with the viewer. I value process above all and practice a variety of mediums in abstracted, detailed, and layered collage.

Online Gallery Submissions

Samantha Bias

Artist Statement

I have felt for a long time that art exists to help us question our environments as well as ourselves, and if we are not asking questions, we are not moving forward, and if I am not making art, I might die. Some themes I have been challenging in my art lately involves questioning how our society and social conditions have affected our relationships with ourselves and our memories through the lens of gender roles, androgyny, Wall Street, and the collective American childhood. I explore many different mediums in my work, often spanning from acrylic paint to whatever I am drinking at the time. My work also plays with themes of disconnecting from the conscious self within the studio process by embracing the idea of fast art as well as “sabotage” / painting with your eyes closed.

Online Gallery Submissions

Les Ongulés by Samantha Bias, film, 2020

Katharine Browning

Artist Statement

My art explores themes of self-awareness and inward reflection. Each body of work focuses on creating a personal connection with the viewer, and seeks to deepen an understanding of individuality by connecting with a viewer’s thoughts and experiences. Each memory has a hand in who you are today. In order to move forward, you must face the past.

Online Gallery Submissions

About the Artist: Kate Browning Video

Bailey Carpenter

Artist Statement

My artwork aims to capture the features of various animals in a colorful and surreal style while often incorporating species of plants as well. I work to push details in the texture in each animal, while often pairing them with a plant that fits the composition and features of the animal. I often work with many different species of birds, both to learn more about them and to show others the unique beauty they carry. The main medium I use is digital so that I can both push the color and value in each of my illustrations.

Online Gallery Submissions

About the Artist: Bailey Carpenter Video

Caitlyn Chellew

Artist Statement

As someone who basically grew up at the library, I have a deep love for stories and understand the impact that they have. My work consists of illustrations and comics with a focus on themes of identity. I believe that stories, especially comics, are great tools in creating empathy, which is desperately needed during this time.

Online Gallery Submissions

About the Artist: Caitlyn Chellew Video

Rachel Eshuis

Artist Statement

I use digital and traditional media to make illustrations. These illustrations tell stories of imagined characters, and display scenes from my many adventures into the depths of my friends’ imaginations. I create these pieces as a short escape from the ever-increasing torrent of negativity in the news.

Online Gallery Submissions

About the Artist: Rachel Eshuis Video

Charlie Esker

Online Gallery Submissions

Brett Garrett

Artist Statement

I create three dimensional forms primarily out of wood. My work explores thoughts and emotions that I have experienced through life as well as theories and concepts such as time, progression, and change. These objects take many shapes, from geometric to natural and literal to figurative. I work meticulously to push technical limits to create detailed work. The use of color and material are key components I use to drive a narrative reinforced by craft and composition.

Online Gallery Submissions

Riley Gunderson

Artist Statement

I gather materials to create mixed-media and collage pieces. I make books, three dimensional collages and sculptures, and paintings. Through this process I display and work through concerns that are important to me. My work amplifies my own voice and the voice of females I have admired throughout my career.

Online Gallery Submissions

About the Artist: Riley Gunderson Video

Allison Hellman

Artist Statement

I have watched my family create my entire life. In a way, I always knew I wanted to be an artist. My work in ceramics, textiles, and painting focuses on the relationships and places closest to me. Whether it is the fields and plains of Iowa or the vast expanse of Lake Superior I use the treasures I find to inspire my work. Throughout these media, my work embodies attention to detail, simplicity, and cohesiveness. Creating work that is clean and aesthetically pleasing is what I strive for, as well as being part of someone’s everyday life as a “simple luxury.”

Online Gallery Submissions

About the Artist: Allison Hellman Video

Ce’Dell Hughes

Artist Statement

My art is a tangible reflection of the mind and how it can be depicted in a manner of self-reflection. Each work combines different mediums to make thought provoking portraits. The mind has thousands of processes and many are something that aren’t able to be seen by others, so by creating this body of work I make it so others can get a glimpse into mine.

Online Gallery Submissions

About the Artist: Ce’Dell Hughes Video

Madison Klocke

Artist Statement

My art is ever-changing and evolving with each new life experience. The content of my work reflects past and present experiences, emotions, and what is meaningful to me and my family. When viewing my art, you can see a mixture of realism and painterly styles and a little insight into my life.

Online Gallery Submissions

About the Artist: Madison Klocke Video

Madeleine Loyd

Artist Statement

I’m an illustrator with a love for creating fantastical stories and worlds that invite the viewer to imagine beyond the day to day, see themselves as heroes, and embolden them i n the tales we conjure between artist and observer. I believe storytelling is our most potent form of communication and it is my passion to use art to realize fantasies as a gateway to experiencing courage, inspiration, and empathy that we can apply in our everyday adventures.

Online Gallery Submissions

About the Artist: Madeleine Loyd Video

Lynn Nguyen

Artist Statement

I make videos to try and emphasize with the viewer about experiences. Art to me, is a tool that helps me connect with my viewers and give them an experience. It is also a part of my insatiable hunger to learn new technical skills in the world of digital art, and how to manipulate the skills in a creative space.

Online Gallery Submissions

Prison Escape by Lynn Nguyen
2019
1280px by 720px
Cinema 4D, Adobe After Effects, Adobe Premiere Pro

Synesthesia – Somber by Lynn Nguyen
2019 – 2021
1280px by 720px
Cinema 4D, Adobe After Effects, Adobe Premiere Pro, Cakewalk Digital Audio Workstation

Synesthesia – Contentedness by Lynn Nguyen
2019-2021
1280px by 720px

Water Temple by Lynn Nguyen
2021
1280px by 720px

Sarah Siroky

Artist Statement

In my work, I aim to illustrate and recreate the connections we have to objects and experiences in life. Sometimes this takes the form of “snapshot” images of single moments in time, and other times it reflects my reaction to modern issues.

Online Gallery Submissions

About the Artist: Sarah Siroky Video

Naseul Son

Artist Statement

My work explores the relationship between me and history. In the meantime, one question came to my mind, why did I find art in my life? I kept thinking and then I found the reason that is because I can express my feeling in the color and put my message with words. I do not think that I was afraid of communicating with other people, but I just wanted to deliver my messages in a much more creative way.

Online Gallery Submissions

About the Artist: Naseul Son Video